Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Risotto Pancakes


I hope you all had a most agreeable Christmas! I have been sidelined with my knee injury and then developed an allergic reaction to the latex or adhesive in the bandages used. My teeth pain has slowly diminished with no sign of discoloration, so far. All in all, slowly on the mend and considering myself very lucky.

I thought I'd share a side dish I made for dinner last night. It is not too complicated to make and is always well-liked, to get started you need,
1 TBL butter
1 medium onion, very finely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup long grain rice, this cannot be Uncle Ben's brand or Minute Rice brand! I used Mahatma Gold brand.
1/4 tsp salt

Saute the onions and garlic in the butter over medium heat for about 5 minutes.

Add broth and heat to boiling. Add rice and salt, reduce heat to simmer, with pan covered for about 20 minutes until all liquid is absorbed.

Remove from heat,

and stir in 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese. Let cool 15 minutes,

and add 1 slightly beaten egg.

Mixture will be slightly sticky looking. At this point, I cover it and put it in the refrigerator.

When ready to cook, shape the mixture into 12 pancakes. It helps to moisten your hands with water and shake off the excess before shaping. You can refrigerate again for up to 24 hours before cooking just make sure they are covered.

Using 1/2 cup dried plain bread crumbs, coat pancakes and fry a few at a time in a large skillet over medium heat. I use about 1/3 cup of canola oil and cook for about 4 to 5 minutes on each side. They are good served with applesauce or sour cream. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Oh, do these look good. You just made me hungry.