Tuesday, December 16, 2014

A Grand Illusion

I don't know why, but I did, start a new project.  My first mystery quilt via Quiltville's Grand Illusion Mystery Quilt.  I kept running into fellow bloggers doing this quilt and decided to join in.  I find the directions a bit scattered but after reading through them several times I've figured things out.


I ran across these which I have been carting around every time I've moved.  According to the dated price tag, I got them in 1991. Yup, that sounds right.  They worked great for the 280 HSTs I needed.
Would you believe this was the very first time I've used this method to make HSTs?


Using fabric mostly from my stash, this is clue#1,



I discovered quite the pile of blacks I could have used rather than buying some new ones. Oh well…


My stack of Broken Dishes blocks. Sorry for the poor photo.


Then onto clue#2 and Double Diamond blocks. These are time consuming. I elected to do the stitch-and-flip method of construction as I didn't trust my printer to print the template right.


I just cut out everything, made a few, and plan on taking it up to Alabama for when I visit my daughter next week.


And lastly, started clue#3 which is an 8-patch using neutrals, greens, and black.  I am way behind but I did start the sew along about 10 days after it started.  I also need to squeeze some Christmas shopping in here somewhere! Yikes!
Thanks for visiting!


4 comments:

kathy-o said...

Wow - you're really getting it done!!! I've started - I've downloaded the patterns!

Andee said...

Your mystery is coming along smashingly!

Vireya said...

Pretty fabrics in your mystery!

sewspeciallady said...

You are coming along fine. I'm about the same place as you- Christmas is a busy time as I decorate cookies but they done now to catch up. I love the color choices and the easy piecing.