Sunday, November 23, 2014

Quiet Sunday

I bought some gray FQs at my LQS.  Yay!  I have very little of this color but I've been thinking of making a quilt with it as the background.  I remember when it first hit the scene, I did not like it in any quilts but that has changed for a while now.

I needed to get a new coat today in anticipation of visiting my DD in Birmingham.  I spotted this downright silly sign promoting quilted jackets.  Needless to say, its caught my eye across the store!  I saw the word "quilts" and made a beeline. Lol.

And lastly, a pillowcase I won from Kathy or I should say signed on to do a Pay It Forward.  I have a year to make three gifts and give them away paying it forward. Stay tuned for that!  I might add the pillowcase is going up to BMH with me.  I'm bringing my pillow!

Posting will be light for the next week or so.

photo by Andrea

Heading out early in the morning! Talk to you later!

Friday, November 21, 2014

R & R

Feeling a bit under the weather today. After making a quick run to the library to see what they had in quilt books, I was off to the bedroom to snuggle under a quilt for several good reads.

Thanks for stopping by~

Thursday, November 20, 2014

The Last Pictures

The weather warmed, a bit, and the sun came out and every bug in the area, it seemed, leaped or flew onto my quilt.

This large wasp being one of the first to arrive.  And I just read The Wasp Scene in The Bees book last night so this really creeped me out!  (Anyone else reading this book?)  It would not leave!

Here's a close-up of the negative space.  I love the way it turns out though sewing it I was not feeling any love whatsoever.  I was afraid the density would make the quilt stiff, but no, it's nice and soft.  My first time using Aurifil, 50 wt., for quilting and I see why it gets such rave reviews.  I also used it for hand sewing the binding and it was great.  No tangles.

I made a section of binding with all the colors, didn't want anyone slighted!

Pretty pleased with myself at this point, the wasp is gone!  Little did I know it hitched a ride into the house on my hair.

Thanks for stopping by~

Wednesday, November 19, 2014

A Meager Post

I joined this online community.

And made blocks for this month.  Such a challenge for me to use that black.  All the Xs are from scraps.  I quit when I ran out of the required jewel tones.

And bought some scissors. Just for paper.


Thought I'd share.

Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Working in a Donut Shop

I forgot to charge my camera battery so I used my iPhone.  I finished my BOM quilt.  Got the binding all sewn on the back by hand this morning after starting it yesterday afternoon.  I can't quite pul;l the trigger on sewing it down by machine which seems to be the fad recently.  I love the texture that developed when I quilted the lilac negative space.

I machine quilted it with lines half an inch apart  after I had quilted them an inch apart.  When I went back to fill in I skipped three inches and then would do more fill in.  I'm hoping the weather is more cooperative tomorrow for pictures.  It was so cold and dreary gray outside today I thought we might get snow!  And windy too.

A better pic of the lilac and more accurate in color.  If you're wondering about the title post it's because I imagine working in a donut shop must be similar to working on a quilt, at least for me.  I get so sick of making that quilt from start to finish, I cannot wait to either mail it to the recipient or put it away in the closet.  After a month I'm ok with seeing it!  Weird me, I know.

Here's the backing, I love the fabric it's so quirky and silly.  I even got it labeled today.

Stay warm, see you tomorrow!

Monday, November 17, 2014

A Finished Quilt

This is a quilt I made over the summer and never got around to sharing.  It's when I first started using my stash of Aunt Grace fabric I bought when it first came out quite a while ago.
I love how it turned out.

The backings a blue and cream Moda shirting that I've had forever though not quite as long as the Aunt Grace. It was nice to use it up. I used Pellon cotton batting in white off the roll from Joann's.  It washed up nicely and would use it again although I did have a problem with grease and had to return my first piece. I am guessing it came from the factory that way.

And my niece, enjoying her birthday present!

Thanks for stopping by.