I bought this quilt top from Ebay for a song several years ago. My intent at the time was to finish it and I think the time has arrived. I just love it! It has a lot of feedbacks and fabrics from the 20s to 40s, I believe. I spent the afternoon taking the yellow borders off and then trimming the inner pink border down. To my eye, both were to wide. The yellow borders were cut on the lengthwise grain. The original 36 inch wide fabric was torn into 4 equal parts and then sewn onto the quilt with what looked like carpet thread. I'm guessing the maker put the borders on as a 'placeholder' of sorts and planned on adjusting the width later. I was really afraid before I started! But she did a fine join with the borders and I ended up just having to ease the pink inner border a bit.
Here's a closeup of a block. The blocks are about 11 inches square.
My favorite block. I went over it carefully looking for any popped seams and nothing.
I love how the maker cute the stripes lengthwise. I would never have done that! But maybe she had no choice.
I'm thinking of doing a simple vertical/horizontal grid using my sewing machine. From what I've read white thread was the color mostly used so I might stick with that.
I'd also like to reproduce using present day reproduction fabrics.
If anyone can add any insights into finishing vintage tops, please do!
Talk to you later~
Update: I closed the comments and notified the winners. Thanks to all who visited my blog.
Hello! It's been a while! I thought I'd just back jump into things by participating in Cynthia's Orphan Adoption Event. The premise is to get unloved projects, patterns, fabric, quilt tops, into the hands of someone who wants them and hopefully will put them to good use.
All of my items are free, no strings attached, you may finish and donate to charity or keep for yourself. I am willing to ship only to U.S. addresses. If more than one person wants an item, I will choose the winner by Random Number Generator. I'll pick names on Friday, March 24. Please, make sure I can contact you. Leave your email in your comment if need be, and the number of the item you are interested in!
Left over blocks from a kit I made. I believe the line was called Animal Crackers by Free Spirit. I've got some pinwheel blocks and about 1-1/2 yards of pink fabric. The quality of the fabric is super nice. I might be able to locate the pattern that was included. If so, I'll include that also.
Random orphan blocks not necessarily for the same project. A creative project for sure. I might be able to dig up a few more mismatched blocks to add to the mix.
This is a sick of 5-inch fabrics, a random mix of fabrics left over from projects I've worked on. I haven't counted but there's a lot! And they are an accurate 5 inches square.
This is a finished quilt top. I started with a panel with the cats, cut them apart and added flying geese, square in a square, but about halfway through I just wasn't feeling it anymore. I have the backing and binding I'll send along with it. I had originally intended it as a charity quilt. It's lap size or a large wall hanging.
Be sure to check out Cynthia's blog for the rest of the Orphan Adoption participants. SaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSave