Sunday, October 4, 2015

Machine Sewn Binding

Today's the last day for linking up to 100 Quilts for Kids and here's my final quilt.

I just grabbed the red and blacks/whites scrap bags, started cutting and sewing.  I must say, after several scrap quilts I am finally seeing a dimunition in scraps around here.  Plus I've been able to use up some fabric that's been in my stash forever, like when Clinton was president, the first term!

Here's the back.  About three minutes after I took this picture, we had a sudden cloudburst.  Weird weather here today in south Florida.  We're back to fully sunny now, five minutes later.

I attempted machine-sewn binding on this quilt, for the first time.  I like the speed of it but I did miss sewing on the binding to the back by hand.  I'm weird that way! I don't really think hand-sewn binding is any less sturdy than machine-sewn but the speed of finishing up in twenty minutes was nice!  I used a scant 2.25 inch cut for the binding width.  I think I'm going to try a generous 2.25 inch cut the next time.  Here's the binding,

Could be better but not too bad for a first attempt.  This one, like the others will be donated to Quilts for Kids.

Enjoy the rest of your Sunday!