Thursday, January 15, 2009

Block of the Month


I've always liked doing BOM quilts. When I became a quiltmaker back in the early 1990s a LQS would kit up their BOM blocks with all the necessary fabric and pattern for $2,50. My have times changed! None of my LQSs offer BOM and the online stores are really pricey complete with a signup fee. If you participate you end up paying one to two times the cost of the fabric used. I know a lot of people signup because of the pace and the surprise element but I'm too much of a penny-pincher.

I found this web site yesterday that has a BOM started. The finished quilt is about 40 by 46 inches but it can easily expanded by increasing the number of blocks you make. The directions will be posted on the 15th of each month and left up for 2 months. The block finishes at 8 1/2 inches. I love house blocks so I think I'm going to participate.

First off, let me say I am clueless about how to zoom in on this picture so you can actually see the deer! We've had these 4 deer hanging around behind our house for the past few days. I tried to sneak up on them to get a picture but was spotted. Prior to moving to Florida I always thought deer were a Northern animal but we have loads of them! In the spring they bring their fawns to the lake, which is just to the right out of the picture. Happy sewing!

No comments: