Saturday, October 10, 2009

Quilt Festival, Fall 2009


I'm late! I totally forgot that I was supposed to have this up yesterday, sorry about that. Anyway, welcome to all! Amy over at Park City Girl is sponsoring this online Quilt Festival. Participants are to post a picture of a quilt and the story that goes with it.
My quilt to share is this bow tie quilt. I was working on it the morning of September 11, 2001. I had just got out of the shower after having driven my daughter to school. We had talked on the way about the streets closed for President Bush who was in town not 2 miles from our rental house. He was visiting an elementary school. We were so glad that the closures were not directly on our route. Little did I know how scary it would become just a little while later, the fact that the President was so close to our house.

This is the block I was working on when I flipped the a.m. radio on to catch the morning news at 8:45. I always thought it odd that it was this block that I was working on when I heard the news that a plane had crashed into one of the World Trade Center Towers. I had precut all the fabric for the blocks but this was the only one that had patriotic fabric in it. I put the blocks aside that morning and ended up finishing the quilt in late 2003.



Thanks for stopping by.

14 comments:

Carol said...

Interesting story. The quilt is pretty. I made my first bow tie block a few weeks ago and am looking forward to making more.

AnnieO said...

Wow, what a great quilt story to go along with an unforgettable date in history. I love the bow tie block and your quilt is lovely. Thanks for sharing.

Zonnah said...

Too weird but the quilt is beautiful.

Jocelyn said...

What a lovely quilt. And what a special historical memory. It sure was a hard day for all Americans.

Rosalyn Manesse said...

I made a bowtie quilt a couple of years ago. I just love your choice of color.

kathy said...

What a memory! I love the scrappiness of your bow tie quilt.

Kim Walus said...

What a wonderful bowtie quilt. I love all of the colors. There's something about traditional quilts that I just adore. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Rene' said...

Life is strange sometimes. Beautiful quilt with an amazing story to go with it. Thanks for sharing.

Marianne Penner said...

Love your bowtie quilt. Thanks for sharing.

Diane said...

Love the scrapy goodness of this bow tie! Thanks for sharing!

Kathy said...

Your scrappy bowtie quilt is wonderful! Thanks for telling us your meaningful story about when it was created.

Unknown said...

Your quilt is beautiful! Your story is giving me the chills . . .

Anne at Film and Thread said...

What a fascinating story and so special that the block you were working on was patriotic.

Casey said...

That's a beautiful quilt. Best wishes.