Monday, December 7, 2009

How I Spent My Monday


I started this bag today by making the quilted fabric, or I should say starting to make the quilted fabric. Every time I make a quilted bag I say never again as the fabric seems to take forever and then I had my scrap basket (overflowing) right near my sewing machine and a scrap got caught right under the fabric I was quilting and arrgh!!! Yup, that stupid scrap got sewn right to my quilted fabric. Such an unpleasant surprise when I flipped it over! It only messed up 2 rows and they are all fixed now. Am I the only one who does goofy things like that?

The pattern shows an all-over design but I usually quilt it like the Vera Bradley bags. I have a full yard to do for the main part of the bag and one half yard for the gusset.

I'm feeling a bit trepidatious about the upcoming zipper. I've made a fair amount of bags but all the tote variety. I hope it's not too scary! I'll let you know how that goes.


The fabric is a Michael Miller from 2000 or so. I have a matching red floral and a blue. Pictures of those next time. All three are very French Provence looking.

I've got three quarters of it quilted but am going to have to buy more thread tomorrow. That should prove dangerous as Tuesdays are Fat Quarter sale days at my LQS and have you seen the new Moda line Attitude Girls? Mere pictures do not do it justice. I am going to try and be strong but my willpower is not bottomless...
Talk to you later!

4 comments:

SewCalGal said...

Sorry you ran out of thread in the middle of your project. I always find that so frustrating. Close, but not close enough.

Your bag is going to be beautiful. Can't wait to see it. I may not be reading your blog correctly, as I can't tell what design this bag is from. Your inspirational and I'd like to try to make one too!

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

I do that sort of thing all the time!
Can't wait to see the final product!

Unknown said...

The bag is looking great. And yes I always do stupid things that waste time when I am sewing.

Sandie @ crazy'boutquilts said...

It seems I always manage to flip a corner back and quilt over it~ esp when I am rushing to get something finished. :/ It is going to be a wonderful bag~ good luck with the zipper! :)