Monday, October 20, 2008

Design Chosen

If you remember I was thinking about using some golds, reds, and greens for the Doll Quilt Swap. Well, coming across this Bento Box pattern in my sewing room and never having made one, I decided to downsize it and use that.




I had started a collection of Asian fabrics years ago with the intent of making a quilt I saw in a magazine. I decided now was the time to use them for my Baby Bento Box. I didn't have as many lights as I would have liked but here is some of the fabrics I used.



Each Bento Box is made up of 4 small blocks, 2 dark and 2 light. These 4 are sewn together to make 1 large block. I cut my strips to 1.75 inches so my finished quilt of 3 blocks by 3 blocks would be about 22 inches square. I've got 6 blocks made so far. I really like how it's turning out. The fabrics are mainly from Kona Bay, with a few Hoffman. I tried to keep a bit of an Autumn theme going as my recipient listed reds, greens, and golds as a hint of what she liked.



I just found out that a few of the participants have already finished their quilts and sent them! I forgot to mention our group includes 3 men and international swappers. I hope my quilt comes from one of them! Stay tuned!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

very pretty! i have the bento box pattern but i haven't touched it...i've looked at it, thought about fabricas, but still haven't done anything with it. yours turned out just lovely! very nice fabric choices too!

John said...

I bounced over here from the Doll Quilt Swap Flickr group -- congrats on starting up your blog! These swaps are a lot of fun and a great way to meet people. In fact, I am one of the 3 men you mentioned in your post! Your quilt is looking great -- the Bento Box pattern is one of my favorites, though I haven't made one myself yet. It's on my list!!

Tom H said...

I too came over from the Doll Quilt Swap Flickr group. Very nice blog, very good quilter too. I can see I have a long way to go in both areas. I might be another one of the three fellows...I'll be back often..

Tracy said...

Beautiful fabrics and quilt!