Hello, Happy Fourth of July! I've been sewing up a storm today. First off, I made this Philadelphia Pavement 10-inch block from Nancy Martin's Perpetual Calendar to donate to a fellow blogger who is making a Quilts of Valor quilt.
And I've been making slow but steady progress in my second quilt using the uglies from the In The Bag Challenge.
I ran into a problem with one of the uglies. Of course, I did not notice the hole in the fabric until the block was completed and I had no more fabric. What's a quilter to do? Make do!
The hole was in the center square. I substituted another fabric but then realized all I had to do was reverse the lights and darks (duh!) and then I would have enough. So that's what I ended up doing.
I've changed the way I make HSTs. I found it so much more accurate to make them larger and then trim them down to the correct size. I know some quilters pooh-pooh that as being more work but when your block finishes at 4 inches, it's a necessity!
It worked so well for the 4-inch Churn Dashes, I began using it for the larger sizes as well.
Here's another of the uglies, the veggie print and not the orange! I had to make a second quilt as I misread the original directions for the Challenge. We were to use 90% of the uglies in our project whereas I thought we just had to include a bit of it.