Hey everyone, another finish to share. First I want to thank everyone on my last post for all the kind words you left. I really appreciate it!
This is a quilt I made after participating in a red/aqua disappearing 9-patch a few years ago. You'll notice it's not a disappearing 9-patch at all but an Arkansas crossroads quilt. After I received my 100 blocks and started working with them it was clear I had swapped with quilters who were a bit sewing challenged. Of the 100 blocks I think I had 23 or so that were usable. So I did what any perfectionist would (Ha!), and took them apart and made new blocks. It wasn't as bad as it sounds. It was fun seeing the variety of fabrics.
I've been working strictly from my stash for backings. Here I just sewed together some low volume white/reds.
And quilted straight lines with my Bernina 1530 in an all-over grid.
Well, two finished, 5,435 to go! :) It feels that way whenever I peek into my "studio" closet. Whatever was I thinking!
Talk to you later!
Wednesday, March 18, 2015
Saturday, March 14, 2015
I set a goal for myself this year to try and finish some of my many quilt tops overtaking my "studio" closet. Notice I didn't say all! Even I am not that foolish. I resolved to join just one sew along and I did that just so I could do some piecing in addition to machine quilting and sewing on binding. Here's my first finish that occurred in mid-February. Oh my, what a time I had with this top!
Before I go into that ordeal, here's the back. My clothesline is too short to allow for it to hang right without dragging on the ground.
I hope you don't mind all the pictures but I am most proud I finished this top and now it's a quilt. What's ironic is that I started with this top thinking it would be easy. It's from a few years ago and made from all leftovers from other projects. I first tried to machine quilt a zig-zag with my walking foot. Ended up ripping out about five rows after not liking it.
Then I figured I'd use my Bernina Artista 180 which I hardly ever use. I used stitch number 4 to make serpentines every half inch or so across the top. I had such problems with just the top shifting. I had pin-basted every 3-4 inches, and tried decreasing the presser foot pressure to no avail. I'd quilt about 6 inches or so and run into such shifting I had to stop and unpin the basting, then re-pin the part I was sewing into. I had to do this SEVEN times. The only thing I can think of is that I was sewing across the bias of the blocks.
I'm proud of my seam on the back and how well I matched the pattern! The backing is from Joann's from several years ago. It's a really nice quality.
Here's another look at that seam
The texture is great with the quilting. I could pet it all day.
ETA: It took a whole spool of Aurifil thread to quilt it, 1422 yards of color 2021. That's amazing!
Now about that giveaway. I was asked to try out a new product that's really neat called StoryPatches. It came out a few years ago but I'd never heard about them. I think the idea is rather clever. It's a small patch that you sew onto the back of your quilt. It looks like this,
and is about two inches square. The package has directions on how to attach audio, photos, or videos to the label via the stkr.it.com website. The account at the website is free. To hear the message or see associated video that the person who used the label left, you scan in the QR code. Pretty neat! There are also iron-on versions of the label but the one I am giving away is sew-on.
To sweeten the deal, I've got a book to giveaway along with 3 fat quarters,
So leave a comment about whatever you'd like and I'll choose a winner for one StoryPatch sew-on label, A Single Thread book, and three fat quarters of Alex Anderson fabric. Be sure to leave an email where I can contact you if you're a no-reply blogger. I'll choose a winner on Tuesday.
Tuesday, March 10, 2015
Hey everyone, spring has most definitely started here in Florida. Courting behavior of the huge variety of birds abounds! Also spring sewing projects! I joined the Fort Worth Fabric Studio Spring Mug Rug Swap, whew, that's a mouthful! and here's what my partner made for me. I love it so much. It's so pretty my lousy photo doesn't do it justice. She used a variegated thread for the quilting which adds a nice zing.
Here's the back. Cute!
And some extra goodies. I love how the journal cover color coordinates with the mug rug.
~Talk to you later~